View Single Post
09-02-12, 06:09 AM   #7
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cairenn, I am not insulting you. I would never do that. I was just thinking that if someone misinterpreted what you said, well, okay, that person deserves it. I know what you meant, don't worry.

Now I am curious, can you install two versions of Java at the same time? When I look at my program list, I can see the last three updates, but not whole versions because I haven't tried that.

Minion's lack of updates shocked me because I figured it would be around forever, gaining features, supporting more games, and so on and so forth. Just because I don't use it doesn't mean anything else other than I had my little world, and Minion would always be there, and now my world is broken. Minion is good, and its existence gave users choice, which is always a good thing.

You are correct of course that you can run updaters at the same time as the game. There just isn't a lot of point to it because even if they upgrade an addon, it doesn't take effect until a /reloadui, or better still, complete exiting and reloading, which defeats the purpose of running the updaters in the first place. I did point out the one quasi-useful feature if you did run the CC at the same time as the game.

I know ZAM also operates WowHead, which has its own data collecting tool, but you don't need to run it at the same time as the game; you can manually upload the data later. I wish you could manually update data to WowDB with the Curse Client, but you can't - it has to be running during game play. Annoy, says me, but what do I know?

The workaround, as you said, might be trivial, so I'll revise and give the how to:
Run Minion and Curse Client. If addons exist in both, pick your preference, then right click the addon in the other program and select Ignore or whatever the appropriate setting is called. Since most addons exist on both sites, expect to do that a lot, but watch for AddonX is newer on SiteY. If the addon only shows up in one client or the other, then smooth sailing.

Again, Cairenn, I was not saying or inferring anything, and I'm sorry you thought that.