View Single Post
08-13-09, 01:22 PM   #59
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Personally, I've always thought that using the date makes the most sense for version numbers. But even if we (anyone who has ever had to deal with versioning systems) got everyone to agree to that as an accepted standard, people would have still their opinions on how that should be, too. Should it be: mm/dd/yyyy, dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd, yyyy/dd/mm, yy/mm/dd, dd/Month/yyyy, etc.? And what about on days when you release more than one version? Does it then become dd/Month/yyyy.a, .b, .c? or /time? or .1, .2, .3?

Yes, it would be wonderful if we could all agree. Yes, we (WoWI) could insist that people have to upload with a specific versioning standard. Do you know how successful we would be at it? Not at all. Hell, it's a battle just to get people to only upload as .zip and .rar. We had originally told people to only use .zip, but finally gave up and allowed .rar as well. And we still are telling people all the time that we won't accept their compression method. Or try to convince people to put a meaningful description. Or, or, or. The only thing that would happen is that a) we would piss off a lot of authors because "why do we have to conform to your way, I don't like your way, I'm going to do it my way, screw you, I'm not going to use your site any more", or b) we just give up again and let them continue to version them the way they want.

As forty2j (and many others earlier in the thread) said, it's not like this is a new issue, and it's not one that really has a solution. It isn't that we are resistant to the idea on its face value, it's that we are realistic enough to know that it just isn't likely to happen.

Last edited by Cairenn : 08-13-09 at 01:31 PM.