View Single Post
10-05-15, 12:12 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Lynxium View Post
The ability to disable comments.
You can already do this on WoWInterface. Just use the "Report" button on your project page to contact a moderator, and type in the box that you want to disable comments.

Addons are bundled/packed automatically when pushed to the repository.
You can already do this too.

Addon Packager Proxy (best way if you're already using GitHub and Curse):
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51553

Other ways to script addon uploads:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51835

That's quite subjective but in my opinion the design of the front-end looks better and there's even a better design coming up with some more features.
Extremely subjective, as I personally think the beta site is atrocious. It's pretty much unacceptable for any website designed in the year 2015 to not be responsive (eg. usable on different device/window sizes without a horizontal scrollbar) and it's full of tiny and/or low-contrast text. The beta CurseForge site is a little better about color contrast than the beta WowAce site, but 14px is just not an acceptable size for text on the web.

Even if you have perfect vision and only browse on a large monitor in a maximized window and aren't bothered by the above, it's still missing features that have existed on the site for years (eg. a "dashboard" where you can see an overview of new tickets and comments for all your projects) and many pages appear unfinished (despite them supposedly having worked on this for TWO YEARS!) or are a huge step backward from the current design (eg. in the new localization system you can only see 5 phrases per page! and you have to click and load a new page to edit each translation instead of being able to edit them directly on the listing page).

In fact, their new site is SO bad that if it goes live in its present state, it's very unlikely I will continue using any Curse sites for comments, tickets, or posts, and will only continue hosting my addons there at all if I can do it remotely and never have to use the website.

A features that I would really love to see coming to WoWInterface and doesn't exist in CurseForge yet but is coming in their beta is an option to choose GitHub or another Git server for the repository.
The only functional difference this will make is that when I push changes to my remote repository, I just push to "origin" instead of "all", so I don't think it's really as cool as it sounds at first glance.

A feature that doesn't exist in CurseForge at all and I would really love to see is an option to "integrate" to some of the GitHub services beyond sources such as issues, history, milestones and wiki.
Issues, absolutely.

Commit history, I disagree. Commit notes are typically quite terse and technical, so they may not be understandable by the average non-programmer, and there are often many commits which aren't of any interest to users. I think it's much better to write a changelog yourself for public releases, so you can list only the changes that are meaningful to users, and describe them in a way that's understandable by non-programmers.

Milestones... I think it's fine for this to stay on a developer site. For one, WoW addons are small and purposed enough that very few addons are going to benefit at all from milestone tracking. Even for larger addons, it's still probably easier to keep track of planned features using issues. For another, it's unlikely users of a WoW addon are going to bookmark your milestones page and check back periodically to see what's coming next in the addon... they're just going to install updates as they become available. I'd guess that the large majority of addon users don't even read changelogs.

Wiki... if your addon is so complicated it needs a wiki, you're probably doing it wrong. If you have optional "tips and tricks" pages or "advanced usage" tutorials, just put links to them in your addon's description. I don't think there needs to be a dedicated "Wiki" link on addon pages.