View Single Post
11-08-08, 09:26 PM   #32
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can go ahead and upload that here and we'll review it. I've taken a preliminary pass of it and it looks OK, but that's not to say it's definitely safe (solely because I have no control over the above links and whether or not they can change since I've looked at them).

I would advise that you don't upload your source code with the binary because most people won't know where to look for the binary. You might consider uploading the source and the binary in separate packages, alternatively.

Source code is not a requirement on WoWInterface, nor will it speed up the approval process. I won't look at source code at all because there is no guarantee you gave me one set of source code and then uploaded a completely different binary.

For those curious about how we perform our approval process on executables, I would like to point out that executables are rarely approved -- we need to (A) see a good reason to let them be on the site, (B) see that they provide some reasonable external functionality (not just an auto-installer for something that does not need an executable), and (C) don't violate any terms of the EULA.

At WoWInterface, whenever we analyze executables we first run a virus scan, then perform a two-pass check. In general, Dolby will review the file running in a virtual machine to ensure it isn't doing anything suspicious. At the same time, I will disassemble, decompile, or otherwise take apart the file and review it using manual analysis techniques which I won't disclose for two reasons: (1) It varies wildly depending on what I find, and (2) we don't want authors of malicious software coming up with new ideas. If the file is encrypted, compressed, or otherwise cannot be analyzed, it is never approved. If we find anything out of the ordinary, it is not approved. If we find it is definitely malicious, the user is IP banned without warning.

I hope that clarifies some of what has been discussed here.

Regards,
-- Shirik
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/