View Single Post
08-29-12, 04:51 AM   #14
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well, I just might have a solution to this problem, if someone is willing to take a look.

The Nexus Mod Manager over at www.skyrimnexus.com is open source, free code. So you can use it to learn, if there is anyone here that is willing to try to learn from that code, to make one for WoW. It essentially will update addons, but that feature hasn't been added yet. But what it does do is keep track of your addons versions, and makes the version number into a link, which is linked to the site the addon was uploaded to.

The staff that works on that, did say they are planning on adding a feature that auto updates, and many other features. So it's something to watch, and continue to develop from. You can learn from it, and develop, and the addons here could be auto-updated from WoWI.

Another alternative for now could be to create a download tracker on the site, so that users know when and what they downloaded, and create a software that will let them know there has been an update to one of the addons they have downloaded, and they just click on it, and have it auto download to the browser, and the user can configure it from there. Have options on the website in the users accounts so they can configure how they want it to function as a feature on the site/desktop. Create it as an extension/addon for a browser.

What do you guys think of these ideas? I sure wish I could code, and create software. I would be glad to do this stuff.

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
In all honesty, it's because I keep wishing that it wasn't dead. Guess it's well beyond time for me to accept that it is and ask dolby to remove the links. =/

It was a great updater that had potential to be absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately the person that had been developing it got busy with other things and just didn't have time to even maintain it, let alone grow it. And given that we can't pay anyone to do it ... whaddaya do, ya know? =/