View Single Post
09-14-12, 08:16 PM   #124
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
Ry-my-boy, you're gonna have to put out a list of objectives on your site or something since people aren't even skimming this thread to know that you've already said you're going to make RUMA modular, to avoid the bloat of unused features.
Modular is always a good thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't use a fair chunk of your RAM.
Originally Posted by shadow78 View Post
ex carbonite use's 9mb-13mb for all part active ... if they allow somepart to be un-active it would be a lot less memory on system..
Carbonite is a good example of this. If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I completely reinstalled Carbonite) Carbonites memory footprint isn't near that large when you first install it (something like 5-6 MB, I think). Start doing a lot of quests and gathering a lot of nodes, though, and it goes up fairly quickly. It also get's larger when you have a lot of characters. Like, I have something like 35 characters spread out over 6 or 7 servers. But I only really use one profile in Carbonite and just copy it between characters. I think my normal memory usage for Carbonite is around 12/13 MB. For some odd reason I can occasionally check it and find it below 10 MB for a while. It does go back up to normal again, though.

Auctioneer Suite is another example. Especially if you scan the AH often. GatherMate2s data base is another good example. It gets a little larger with every download. I used to use an addon called DropCount to see where something I looted dropped from. The database got to be pretty big after a while for that, too.

Look, all I'm saying here is to not expect any memory usage miracles just because the addon is modular. You're still going to need some data bases for it and they consume memory (when loaded and in use). I don't think there is any way around that.

I think I would worry more about CPU usage. Now THAT can ruin your day really fast.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 09-14-12 at 08:21 PM.