View Single Post
09-28-12, 07:08 PM   #8
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Foxlit View Post
My experience suggests that this isn't necessarily true; I'm running several addons that use the UIDropDownMenuTemplate and "Set Focus" works without any issues on Blizzard unit frames for me.

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing any concise addon interaction with UIDropDownMenu API that reliably ends up tainting the entire thing. <snip>
The problem is that if we could follow the spreading of taint so we can reliably reproduce it we'd solve it (actually Blizzard would have solved it)

Nevertheless, addons that use he default UIDropDownMenuTemplate and at some point initialize it to more menuitems or levels than are securely initialized by Blizzard code as the game loads (8 and 2 respectively) eventually get blamed for action blocked errors.

Sometimes this only happens after a couple hours of raiding which means the spread of taint through the UI is stochastic in nature because there's no surefire way to trace the calls throughout.

This analysis from 2008 by Telic remains relevant even when the exact sequence to reproduce the problem might not be.

Because the codepaths through taint spreads have changed with subsequent versions of the game but the basic mechanism hasn't.