View Single Post
05-07-12, 07:05 PM   #2
Foxlit
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
unpack(t, i, j) returns t[i], t[i+1], ..., t[j]; if you do not specify i or j, they're defaulted to 1 and #t respectively -- so whether unpack will return values from an array with holes in it depends on the behavior of #t.

The Length Operator

The length of a table t is defined to be any integer index n such that t[n] is not nil and t[n+1] is nil; moreover, if t[1] is nil, n can be zero. For a regular array, with non-nil values from 1 to a given n, its length is exactly that n, the index of its last value. If the array has "holes" (that is, nil values between other non-nil values), then #t can be any of the indices that directly precedes a nil value (that is, it may consider any such nil value as the end of the array).
If your array has holes in it, there are no guarantees as to which value #t (of those described in the quote above) will return, as illustrated by your examples. There's nothing wrong with the code you've provided as far as the language is concerned. You simply should not expect or rely on #t to return specific values for such arrays.

On a tangential note, ipairs explicitly iterates over t[1], t[2], t[3], ... stopping at the first nil value rather than using the length operator, so it'll never make it past the first nil in the array.