Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by acapela View Post
edit, this code crashes (looks correct graphically, but eventually crashes):

Code:
frame:SetBackdrop( { insets = { left = 4, right = 4, top = 4, bottom = 4, },
			edgeSize = 16, edgeFile = [[Interface\Addons\Aloft\Textures\krsnik]],
			bgFile = [[Interface\AddOns\Forte_Core\Textures\Minimalist]], } )
in this case, it was the only "border" i was applying anywhere on the nameplate, specifically to the health bar. i will experiment without the "edgeSize" table member.

i will do that as well, though i fetch from SharedMedia on each initialization (i am not caching any of the resulting paths). this means the path would have to be corrupt in SharedMedia... or corrupted between the point i fetch it and the point i use it. i guess stranger things have happened, though.
When you say eventually crashes, what are you doing and is it only nameplates? For example, what if you create a normal dummy frame and center it on your screen, will the game eventually crash. Or how about if you just look at a nameplate of a NPC who never moves for an hour, will the game crash then or is it fine. Also, did the issue only start in 3.3.3 due to needing a new way of doing Texture:SetTexCoordModifiesRect(), or has your code for backdrops not changed and it only started with 3.3.3.

The reason for asking you to try the straight path is just narrowing down what could be causing it. It's a lot easier to post something in the UI forums about X bug if you've eliminated most of the causes and can give a quick test case.

Originally Posted by acapela View Post
hmm, i also try to clear nameplate borders when nameplates are hidden (due to unit death or range). "de-initialization". i am going to disable all of that code, just to make sure... and then repeat some of this testing. would be funny (and par for the course) for me to be barking up the wrong tree all this time.

if that fails, i will "hardcode" both ends (initialization and de-initialization), as Seerah/Shadowed have suggested, and proceed from there.
Ultimately, the UI/addons should not be able to hard crash the game like that. So even if it's due to some odd code combination, it's still worth reporting.