A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
To clarify, you are doing this to replicate:

1) Setting any sort of edgeSize with a texture
2) Remove the backdrop OnHide
3) Wait and the game will crash?
correct...

as it turns out, there are a few things that i can do (in the game) that seem to exercise the problem more quickly (so that i don't have to wait as long for the game to crash). examples: opening the "Nerub'ar Victim" cocoons just outside of Warsong Hold (which drops one nameplate and raises another in rapid succession), or doing an Auctioneer "getall" and then panning the camera around the AH continuously while it runs. i am guessing this sort of thing induces a rapid sort of OnHide/OnShow workflow within the client that is particularly favorable to exercising this problem.

anyway, i did a total of a couple of hours worth of these things late last night and today (after returning to setting an edgeSize, more in line with my "original" OnShow backdrop processing... and after disabling the OnHide backdrop processing), and i did not see a crash. before this, usually it was a matter of minutes (sometimes mere seconds) before i saw a crash.

so, i can't "prove" that disabling the OnHide backdrop processing constitutes a workaround, but at the moment it looks like things are much more stable. i will continue testing, of course... and i promise to come whinging back here if the crashes resume . once i have done some more testing, and my confidence in this specific workaround grows, i will also go provide a summary of this on the Blizzard support forums.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"