View Single Post
02-28-11, 07:07 AM   #12
hankthetank
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I believe could have a broad reaching impact on the whole UI modification scene
No offense, but I think that's a hasty assumption based on your description. Good Xml editors are a dime a dozen and as already stated most time you spend when creating WoW addons is with writing lua code. If I wanted to create some templates or static layouts with Xml I could easily open up Visual Studio or XmlSpy, load UI.xsd and start hacking in my code. I can't really think of any way to improve the basic features every Xml editor has to offer. Also there is already WoW UI designer which has a WYSIWYG frame designer if that's what your going for.

Probably the best thing that you could focus on is reading the factory interface files from the game data to offer functions like inheritance graphs or a "jump to definition" menu item which would require (patched) MPQ handling.

Eventually the only thing that you could score with is a really good lua editor in the long run. Integrated real-time debugger, intellisense with WoW API and global functions, a good context help & API documentation, support for common libraries. Good luck with that.

Oh, and on a side note: I don't think the potential market for cross-game uniform UIs is that big.