View Single Post
11-10-09, 01:30 PM   #17
coz752
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by shkm View Post
You might want to try adapting a more open attitude. Chances are the first addon you wish to create isn't going to yield you buckets of cash or fame. Hell, chances are you'll never get either from addon dev. You're probably best off throwing the idea out there to learn just what you need to learn to pull it off. That, or you could ask for small pieces of advice rather than the whole thing.
I definitely agree..
but after working at a company that had some trouble with a competitor stealing an idea (which resulted in us being drilled not to spread idea's around lightly ). And concluding that what i have in mind is not in existence at the moment. I'll take my chances on sounding rude or that I don't have a open attitude

And i know it may be far fetched to be nitpicky about having the idea being stolen right of the bat, especially on a site that hosts a lot of projects especially where all the projects are pretty much written in plain text lua.
but, ask yourself the same. if you had a good idea for a addon, that you envision could potentially be on the scale of 'questhelper', 'recount', or 'auctioneer' (aka something that loads of people use). wouldn't you try and keep others from beating you in making it first for as long as possible? starting by not telling what it's all about

In fact I think I'm pretty open. but the idea or concept aside. or speculation about whether it may or may not yield revenue aside. I mean, I've even admitted I'd rather not make it myself, alone, from scratch ;p

but all kidding aside.
ok, so far lots of good points on where to start for myself as programmer.
anyone with experience or tips on the other bits.

How does this site's part of 'projects' work ? Does creating a project void or amplify ones natural and or legislated rights regarding the intellectual property? I mean, it's great that I have an idea, but it doesn't immediately mean i have the money to patent it in every country ;P and i realize it's mostly paranoia but .. you know. better safe as sorry, right?

If I want to skip the entire hassle of learning lua and actually making it from scratch. since I have the programming skill of a 12 year old, not to mention that frankly i just want to use it, not build it. Lets say, i want to 'hire' one of you experts here. first, would anyone be interested at all. second, would someone be interested if the pay is part of the revenue rather as cold hard cash now.