View Single Post
07-19-13, 06:05 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you like CTRA so much, and it wasn't causing you any problems, why don't you just keep using it?

Originally Posted by Voxxel View Post
... since the addon uses many ctra commands the users are entitled to think this is a ctra rewrite - especially if the authors themselves refer to it.
When the original oRA was written, 60 was still the max level. Back then, it was written as an alternative to CTRA, which at the time was the only addon of its kind. Adopting the commands that users were already familiar with made sense. Both addons have changed a lot over the years, but it wouldn't be very reasonable for oRA to suddenly change all its slash commands just because the two addons no longer have identical feature sets.

There are probably people who have been using oRA for 7 years. Why screw them over by changing all the commands just so newcomers like you aren't confused for the 30 seconds it takes you to read the documentation on the download page (which, by the way, doesn't mention CTRA at all)? If, after reading the documentation, you assumed that there must be more features just because some of the commands were based on the commands in some other addon you used to use, that's all on you.

Also, I take issue with your statement that you're "entitled" to anything here. You're using software for free that some unpaid hobbyist wrote for free in their spare time to improve their own gameplay experience and released for free in the hopes that maybe it might improve someone else's gameplay experience too. If you want to suggest a new feature, or ask for clarification about an existing feature, or just share your experience with the addon, posting a giant rant about how you assumed something based on nothing, did not communicate your assumptions to anyone, and are now steaming mad that the addon doesn't magically conform to your assumptions, is not a productive way to do that.

... from an old addon's rewrite users expect the same or similar functionality.
oRA is not a "CTRA rewrite". Nobody associated with the project has ever called it that or said it was that. You made that assumption all on your own, and it's about as accurate as assuming that Healbot is a "Grid rewrite", which is not accurate at all -- if there's only one addon that does something, and you write another addon that does that something a little differently, your addon is not a rewrite of the first addon. It's just a new addon that offers similar features.

I can imagine a warning on the ora options panel "Beware! The ora team has wiped out many old commands and functions" and in that case I don't expect a new CTRA.
Why did you expect "a new CTRA" in the first place? Why do you think the authors of one addon should include a warning informing users that their addon is not the same as some other addon they did not write and have nothing to do with? Should Blizzard include a warning in the options for their compact raid frames informing users that the Blizzard raid frames aren't the same as Healbot?