View Single Post
08-23-13, 05:07 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Static memory usage is almost completely irrelevant, and I have nothing but contempt for whichever Blizzard developer thought it would be a good idea to put "how much memory your addons are using" into the default UI. Most users (and most addon developers) do not understand what those numbers mean, and having them displayed just leads to annoyed developers having to explain over and over that "lower memory usage" is not intrinsically good or a worthwhile goal.

The metrics you should be caring about -- the ones that actually matter -- are increasing memory usage (how quickly your addon's memory usage is growing) and CPU time. Those are the things that actually affect framerates. I use OptionHouse to measure them, but there are plenty of other options, including Broker plugins. Make sure you disable CPU profiling when you're done, as leaving it enabled will slow down everything across the board.

This thread on WowAce from last year includes some benchmark tests I did showing the differences in speed (CPU time) for global lookups vs. upvalues, and different styles of calling string methods:

http://forums.wowace.com/showthread....000#post322000

Also, you should just attach your files, or post a link to your addon download. It doesn't really matter whether it's 100 lines or 100,000 lines; any bad coding habits will be just as easy to scan through and see regardless of the size, and I have a lot of free time at work.