View Single Post
04-07-11, 05:55 AM   #8
Cowmonster
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by MigGat View Post
That's what I thought too, but I've been looking around for a while and came with 2 facts:

- AtlasLootFu (addon) has a button with something like "click to connect to the server for the newest items"

- There's a book "Coding4Fun: 10 .NET Programming Projects for Wiimote, YouTube, World of Warcraft, and More" which 3rd chapter is "Feed Reader: An ingame RSS reader for World of Warcraft". I don't have the book how I can't check how it does it.

So these two things made me thought i could be possible..
The only way to have an RSS feed or anything of the sort would be to write an application that writes the data into a .lua file prior to your loading the game and have an in-game addon that reads the contents of that .lua file (table or tables of information) and gives you some sort of pleasant interface for reading that information. You would not be able to pull updates directly from within the wow client and you could not update the information while in the wow client unless it was a .lua file in your addon directory and you did a "/console reloadui" which would result in the re-parsing of the .lua file. This would only work if the .lua file was already in the right folder and loaded by the game. A newly created .lua file while the game was running would not be loaded by the game and any changes to the "SavedVariables" .lua files would not be read by the client and would actually end-up replaced on your logging out/exiting.

Author of:
Equipped Average Item Level :: ExtraBar :: Killing Blow Emote :: RecordTip