View Single Post
11-09-10, 05:14 PM   #84
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
And if it has nothing to do with what you believe in, why do you say that taking the context out of religion is wrong?
How can you take the context out of the religion is what I ask myself.
If the state or whatever organ is at the head of a society doesn't provide what the individual and by extension the society as a whole need to function properly (government, justice, moral code, philosophy, meaning of life, science, whatever)
But I'm talking about a hypothetical state. Belgium for example already fills all those things. Some parts in Africa for example don't. However I also heard that they have new anti-gay laws since recent. I wonder where the influence came from.

with time the concept of religion itself will change from what we know today, either in the form of new religions or evolved old religions.
True, just as it did for thousands of years. It adapts for it's survivability.

About the new religions, where do you draw the line about what has to be taken seriously? Is Scientology to be taken seriously, should they have an influence in society? Should Mormons? Etc.

Assuming I'm building a democratic society where all citizens are treated equally, religion would be one of the first things I would take care of, ensuring that everyone is free to practice their own religion and they have the facilities needed to do so (churches, mosquees (pretty sure I misspelled that), optional religion classes in schools, etc.) I believe that is the statement of true democracy and modern thinking, not telling everyone "okay, we know God didn't create the world, you're all stupid for believing it so I'm not gonna support the citizens that want to practice religion in this society". How is that "modern" in any way?
First question would be, can everyone be treated equally when religion has a deciding impact in your society? In my society people would be free to build their facilities too. It wouldn't be taught in schools tho. It would be replaced with something like "Non confessional ethics". Something like we already have in Belgium. I would ofcourse also teach em evolutionary biology instead of creationism. You know, things not based purely around faith and dogmatics, but based on things we can scientifically explain. (But but, it's not 100% proven!")

I also never claimed I wouldn't support non religious people. Everyone has the right on social security, a job, health insurance, etc. regardless of believe, race, sexual orientation etc.

Humans are actually quite a stupid species if I may offer my unwanted and biased opinion.
We might as well be the smartest living organism that will ever live in this universe. Who knows. We've got nothing to compare ourselves to so.

The opinion thing about why we are here. Isn't that a bit easy? "Well it's my opinion, there isn't a certainty, so therefore our opinions have the same value." ?

What gives religion this power to be based purely around belief? When it doesn't apply anything else?

Religion simply tries to fill out the gap between knowledge and uncertainty. Without it we'd be lost.
Why would we be lost? I think every scientist can live with the fact that he doesn't know everything and never will. Knowing that you don't know everything is better then filling that gap with possible beliefs imo.