View Single Post
11-11-12, 07:34 AM   #33
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by catastrophile View Post
Assuming I've followed this all correctly (I've been lurking sporadically since Rythal first tackled this project, bless his heart) . . .

The old Carbonite quest tracking code was self-contained because there was no built-in quest tracking at the time it was developed. Consequently, whenever quests were added, changed, or removed, quest tracking was broken until somebody went in and fixed it. This happened when the Cataclysm patch completely torched the Azeroth quest set, and again when MoP hit.

Since Blizzard now provides the client with some quest information, this is no longer really necessary. The developer could continue maintaining the quest database by hand, but there's another option now.

The other major change that many users, and Rythal, have stated as a desired priority, is cutting many of the peripheral aspects of the addon out of the core functionality. Making the code modular to reduce its footprint basically means a total overhaul. Rythal has also stated a desire to make the end product more accessible so that the community isn't starting from scratch if he goes the way of the original developers down the road and others are left to maintain the addon.

So, in the meantime, we are looking at band-aids to the original add-on until 2.0 comes along. With limited resources and no real compensation, I think that's more than reasonable. I haven't had major problems with any of the last few updates, but yes, the map is a little buggy (it sounds as if there were changes on Blizzard's side that screwed up caves, at least).

Rythal has, to his credit, been fairly modest about his own talents. He's doing what he can to make this work for us, he didn't promise unicorns or rainbows, and especially not immediately. Gotta keep that in mind.
To do what carbonite does it has to be self contained , Blizzard gives very limited info about The POI's. I For Google maps to work properly It has to have it own code Basically many of the add-ons are just overlays or changes to the frames. The reason why it can have Google maps and no one else's does is it is real code not just some overlay It does not modify the frame it totally replaces it with its own code and graphics

If you want accuracy in its quest tracking. or anything beyond just quest tracking
It will need to store the data in a data base if not you get quest helper light. The difference between the normal version and the version with a data base id night and day The same reason why Quest helper, Grail/wholly all use there own data base. For acuaracy and for features

Thank you nihm for the better exsplanation