View Single Post
11-09-05, 11:40 AM   #14
Rapture
A Murloc Raider
On Topic:

Some people just don't understand when to stop. Internet related sexual harrassment is a big problem now adays. Kids... such fools.

Off Topic (Snakes, psychology, genetics, and Darwinian theories):

Being afraid of snakes is a self defense mechanism in our brains. Most people don't understand them, so they immediately fear or hate them. A good example of this is a racoon. I myself used to be slightly bothered by them. I hated them because what everyone else said (rabies, vicious animals, etc). Then I came across a baby racoon and gave it a home. It turned out to be one of the best pets I ever had. Much like a cat, but with the obedience of a dog.

Anyways, fears are not a genetic trait, merely a psychological one. Freud would probably say it is related to events in a person's childhood. There are some things we instictively know to avoid (not fear), such as certain colored animals (I.E. black and yellow bugs). There are very few creatures on this planet that pass along memories via DNA, and of those creatures, they are all insects. So to say specific fears are genetic is to say that humans have evolved on a very grand scale. The possibilities of human knowledge would be emense if we could do that.

Enough of my psychosemantics,
-Rapture