View Single Post
02-23-07, 03:05 AM   #8
DunedainKilrog
A Murloc Raider

1. you say you have 256mb dedicated to addons, i seem to remember reading somewhere that WoW won't exceed something like 74mb, regardless of what you "assign" to them in your addons section. i might suggest setting that number to 0mb to let the client automatically manage your addon memory.
I would like to see that post about the memory and WoW. I have also set it to 0 and WoW promptly ate every last byte of memory that I had and never let go. Unfortunately, that is not an option.

2. as was stated, Ace mods may increase your initial load times, but any extraneous/duplicate libraries that are loaded will be unloaded on the first garbage collection. i run an almost entirely Ace2 interface that is far more fully featured than any interface i've had befrore (all of my own design made from various mods) and i average around slightly more than half of the memory of my last (pre 2.0) interface.

My issue is not with the initial load time. It is with every subsequent load of the same instance. I too, run a very select group of addons. My pre 2.0 mods never had this problem, and there is no reason that I should have it now.

3. you gave a short list of Ace2 addons, if those are not your only addons, i suggest looking for Ace2-based addons which are comparable to whatever other addons your using. i'd bet you have better overall performance and less memory usage than you have now.
While in theory, that might be useful for others, it will not work in my case. I use VERY specific addons for very specific functions. Ace2 addons do not have all of the built in features that some of the addons that I do use, thusly making it so that I would have to use 6-7 addons from Ace2 to equal 1 addon that I use now.

I can not see how, without knowing exactly what addons I run, you can make the assumption about my memory and performance. Without any data posted from you and myself, there can be no reliable comparison.

I am not trying to be a newb asshat here, but there are some issues of logic that do not add up to some of your conclusions.

Again, let me say this. I do greatly appreciate your replies. To me, they lead to just more questions at this point than answers. If you would agree to it, I am more than willing to post my entire addon list if you would do the same. That way, when you explain something to me about this.that, or the other thing, I can visually see what you are talking about and that will increase my ability to soak this all in much faster and enable me to make the fixes that I need to.

Once again,

Thanks in advance!

Edit: One last thing. My original question has still gone unanswered. Is there a mod or are there several mods that function like Catalyst with the sole respective purpose of decreasing zone into instance and straight zone times. Based on what I just said and all of us having the knowledge that Cat has NOT worked since the 1.11 patch, I ask that people refrain from making any comments about that fact as we all know of this fact. My original question deals with a completely different focus, that being: Is there a mod or mods that act like Cat, yet actually work for TBC. I am not interested in starting a debate here about RAM for addons or you run too many, or you need to run these instead of what you do run. We can leave that debate for another day and thread.

Again,

All respects,

Dunedain

Far too many other games to list.

http://www.rpgoutfitter.com/wow-gm/c...ain@US-Kilrogg

Last edited by DunedainKilrog : 02-23-07 at 06:24 AM.