Thread: GUI's
View Single Post
05-25-05, 10:29 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
And what you are talking about will make them even happier! Please do!

Time to reveal a well hidden (or maybe not so well hidden) secret.

I can make neither heads 'nor tails of the coding involved in WoW's interface. I open up any file to try to figure out how someone has done something, and I'm just totally and completely lost.

I don't consider myself a particularily stupid person, but the coding here is sure making me feel stupid. I just can not get my head around it, no matter how many times I try. I try to read the "tutorials" that people have done, and it's just complete information overload. It's exactly like you said, it's like I'm trying to read Swahili. And it's frustrating beyond words.

When I look at the fact that I knew nothing about coding, or about graphics manipulation (alpha channel, what's that?) when I first started out with UI modding back in EQ, and then look at what I was able to do by the end ... one would think that I should be able to do this without any problem. But I just can't. It confuses the hell out of me.

I really desperately need someone who is willing to sit down, take the time and explain it to me, to show me that if you do X, it causes Y. I mean, the simpliest of things. How do I hide the gryphons on the ends of the bar? Should be simple, right? I can't manage to thread my way through the code enough to figure out where they are defined, where they are called and sized, and thus how to turn them off.

It's not like I even want to make major functional changes or anything. I'm all about re-arranging things on the screen and substituting graphics, giving it a new "look". There was so much beautiful work done graphically back in EQ. I want to carry it over here. But ... I.can.not.figure.it.out.

People have asked me when they are going to see my Ancient Celts ported over. Or any of the T.King stuff (since I have permission to work with his graphics). Well, here's why they aren't around.

There, shameful secret out.

Last edited by Cairenn : 05-26-05 at 08:26 AM.