Thread: GUI's
View Single Post
05-26-05, 12:30 PM   #10
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
For the first time, that almost sorta made sense to me. Thank you.

Okay, example ... I want to make a new casting gauge. I would create it (the image) in PS. It gets defined in which file? ie the telling it to go find the casting gauge image in "this" .tga or .blp file, at "this" (x,y) starting location of the graphics file, and it is "this" long and "this" wide (cx, cy)? The MyMod.lua?

Then, next step, I want to tell the game to use my casting gauge, not the default one. Which file do I work with to tell it to hide the default, and to use mine instead, and to put mine at "this" location on the screen? Again, I know that we don't want to actually touch the default FrameXML files, so I need some way of telling it to hide them and load mine. I take it that the MyMod.xml (that whole "onload" bit) is the file tells it to load up my graphics file?

Or have I just gotten myself all confused again?

And, isn't this going to make it incredibly slow on loading, if it has to load all the original graphics, then hide them and load mine? That could really suck ...

/edit And you have to admit, the xml being used in WoW's interface is a damn sight more ... confusing (advanced) ... than what was being used back in EQ1.

Okay, backing up a step here.

The MyMod.xml file is:
- the one that tells it to load my graphics file, correct?

The MyMod.lua is:
- the one that defines where it is located in the image file (starting point, length, width) MiniMapTrackingFrame:SetWidth(100);
MiniMapTrackingFrame:TexCoords(.2,.5,0,1); -- change what part of the texture to use

and:
- where it is located relative to ... itself? (MiniMapTrackingFrame:SetPoint("BOTTOMLEFT","Minimap","BOTTOMLEFT",-15,0) -- moves x,y to -15, 0 relative to the bottomleft of the minimap)

Where am I defining where it shows up on the screen? Back in EQ1, it was the .ini file. Layout-cache.txt?

And where am I telling it to hide the defaults?

Last edited by Cairenn : 05-26-05 at 01:05 PM.