View Single Post
09-13-08, 12:07 PM   #29
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm the sort of person who tends to play "devils advocate" and I'm obviously "on the fence" about this idea or I'd have done it already - so when people started saying "it's SPAM" or "it's a BAD idea" I was always going to take the other side of the argument - because that's how I think you get discussion going (rather than everyone just agreeing with the last guy)

On the 'dedicated to making anti-spam addons' thing - all I meant was that there are a LOT of anti-spam addons (there really are!!) and addons are generally about making the game more 'how you want it' - so it's not greatly surprising to see the addon-developer community being firmly on the side of addons NOT doing anything they can't directly control - it wasn't in ANY way a 'dig'...

--

So I thought a test was in order - I made a 1 line 'SPAM' macro and I ran 6 AVs (using the macro once during preparation) to see what happened.

I was aware that I was likely grouping with many of the same people each time and that I had a good chance of having someone moan at me but I thought it worth the experiment as I was in there testing something out anyway

What happened?

3 people asked me what my mod actually did - 2 of those went on to ask where to get it and a few people whispered me thanks for buffs (something which seldoms happens to me in BGs).

Perhaps it was just the novelty and I would eventually have been lambasted for it - but I had a wedding to go to so I stopped after 6 games.

It certainly wasn't the 'end of the world' tho - in fact it was quite positive really.

I don't think I'd enable it for other people using my addons - because I don't think I have their permission to do that - but I'll certainly click that macro again if only to see how long it takes to get me some abuse - purely for scientific purposes of course

I think there's a place for this - is all I'm saying...