View Single Post
09-14-08, 05:58 PM   #13
AnrDaemon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well, it is not "UAC bad", it is "Virtualization bad".
It just hides the fact that problem (Program writing data in installation folder) exists.
But we're here not for discussing Windows design troubles.

Let me add Option 4? Pure theorycrafting, I hate Crapsta enough to never touch it even with 100-feet stick.
But it is what I'm doing if I have such problem with applications under W2k/WinXP.
Note before you dive into reading: It require some additional tools to complete process, so read it to the end BEFORE you start following these instructions. If you have slightest feel that you're not understand intentions, process, and expected results, DON'T! Just don't do it.

Step 1:
Start WoW as administrator once and let it create all the needed "WTF/**" folders for your account. You do not need to log in every character you have. One is enough. Ok, you did it. Log your char out, close WoW client.

Step 2:
Go to your %APPDATA% folder. Basically, open any Explorer window (Win+E anyone?) and type
Code:
%APPDATA%<CR>
in the address bar. (The "<CR>" thingy stands for "Enter" key. Hope you know it, but if not - you are now.)

Step 3:
Create the "Blizzard/World of Warcraft" folder there in %APPDATA%. 2 steps, I hope you can do it yourself. Refer to "Windows for dummies" for more precise instructions.

Step 4:
Go to "%ProgramFiles%/World of Warcraft/WTF" folder. Open it in separate window. You must see your account name as folder in there.
Copy "%ProgramFiles%/World of Warcraft/WTF/<YourAccount>" to "%APPDATA%/Blizzard/World of Warcraft/<YourAccount>".
Critical: I emphase the word "Copy" because you must do exactly that. Copy it, otherwise you may have applied rights moved along with folder and effect would not be what we want to be done.
Hold "Ctrl" key while dragging your stuff, or use whatever you feel applicable for that task. I know at least 4 ways to have it done through Explorer itself.

Step 5:
Delete "%ProgramFiles%/World of Warcraft/WTF/<YourAccount>". (Shall I notice you to make a backup?)

Step 6:
Create symlink to "%APPDATA%/Blizzard/World of Warcraft/<YourAccount>" at "%ProgramFiles%/World of Warcraft/WTF/<YourAccount>".
Cannot be done through Explorer. Find your way and tool. You should be able to do so.

Step 7:
That's all. Log in your another char and see if you have it's settings created in the "%APPDATA%/Blizzard/World of Warcraft/<YourAccount>/<YourAnotherChar>".

I *really* hope it would work. Otherwise, I'd say M$ really stupid... >.>

P.S.
Advantages? Ok, you asking, I tell you.
You'll be able to have different system accounts to have their own WoW profiles stored inside system profiles. Easy to backup, transfer, etc.
And for patchdays, it's Real Simple. Unlink WTF/** folders.
Update. See if all works ok in first place. Cleanup WTF folder and link your profiles back. See if all works as expected. Make adjustments, shuffle backups etc. As you need.