View Single Post
08-05-09, 11:54 PM   #12
Vaest
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Jzar View Post
Woo, did I just run into my druid buddy out of the game?
/wave

[i] am perfectly happy manually downloading all my addons. It gives me a chance to get familiar with each one;
To me, it takes to much time. I barely have time to play (and yet i somehow make time to complain to wowinterface about minion...), let alot manually update nearly 100 addons. If i run into a problem, like your totemtimer example, where i can't find something or something has changed, I'll go read about it, but I do see your point. For me however, I want the fastest, most reliable (not likely to revert to old versions) solution possible.

I'd suggest automatically updating addons based on their upload date compared to the "last modifed" field of the Windows addon folder, but that could be incorrect for any number of a million weird reasons. It's just not a simple problem, and I say props to Shirik for wrangling with it. Good luck, and hopefully Minion will get to a point where I might start actually using it.
True enough. Date modified would probably be the most reliable, as long as the operating system consistently tells you the modified date correctly.

However, as for a numbering system being restrictive or "forced", from glancing through my installed addons, all of them fall into one of the three categories i described above, and I imagine most addons do as well (they do have lots of fluff to, like a "v" before it, or "release" at the end). Arbitrary rules like "version must be 5 chars are more" are stupid, but a rule like "If you want your addon to update correctly, have the version number be similar to one of the following: 1.0.0.1, r132, or 20090805". Which I don't think should be a problem, since alot of authors use subversion or similar anyways, and the others seem to use major.minor.etc with a few doing strange things.

Edit: I do want to add that I do respect you for your work Shirik, to the Wow community, for addons developers and players alike. Thanks, keep up the work.