View Single Post
01-14-08, 04:06 AM   #15
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
http://wow.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408823
They have confirmed that the trojan was real, but in my own PM to Rushster, he basically commented that he had no intention of posting a news article about it or anything else for that matter. In his words:

Originally Posted by Rushster
We do share your sentiments but were disappointed to see WoWI take such a fervent interest by diving into the forums here and splashing it all over the WoWI news page. This was a matter that was of concern to our community and users of the UIC tool, which we dealt with right away. The scale of the issue is tiny affecting only a few people who grabbed the file in the few hours. We were alerted to this issue before anyone at WoWI jumped in by one of the UIC users and investigations started right away.
I had actually made a post on that thread that I unfortunately don't have a copy of. I had basically called Asteria out for claiming indirectly that wowi was just posting this to make wowui look bad. I was professional about it, and basically pointed out that it is stupid to think that wowi would post a news article just to tarnish their reputation, when we did the same exact thing regarding the Trojan we were hit with. My post was deleted, and Asteria's was allowed to stay, citing that mine was off-topic and had no purpose in that thread. Somehow they felt that his were in fact on-topic....

I usually stay out of politics, and after this I will probably go back to my previous method of simply not using another website at all if I don't agree with the way they do business, but I just have to get this off my chest:

I am so sick and tired of the attitude people have against "other sites". I know full well that comments have been made on all sides, and that they may or may not have been true. In my experience you can ALWAYS find poo to sling if you are looking to sling it. But this is supposed to be a COMMUNITY, and at least for me that signifies users on ALL websites. When someone who downloads their mods from curse comes to me for advise or help on an addon, I don't throw them to the wolves and refuse to help them. The same goes when someone from wowui comes to me. This retarded "my site is better than yours" mantra that some sites seem to hold to needs to stay in the background and NOT become evident in public forums, irc, or any other form of communication that regular users can see. It only fosters ill-will and ultimately makes YOU look bad. I know there will always be competition among site-staffers simply because our sites make money based on the number of visitors and traffic we get. That competition will always be there, but it should not EVER taint our user-base.

If you don't like the way a certain site does business the solution is simple. Don't use them at all! I know this can be hard for regular users sometimes because there may be situations where an addon is available on one site but not the other. But if you have a choice, and you would like to support one site over another, the solution is as simple as using your preferred site for everything you possibly can, and then only use those other sites when you absolutely must. This is how I support one site over another. I don't EVER want to see a wowi poster make comments like the one that Asteria did...

Last edited by Beladona : 01-14-08 at 04:30 AM.