View Single Post
07-01-05, 07:33 AM   #28
diiverr
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This thread seems to have focused in on botting, so this might be a bit of a hijack.
UI mods that automate character movement are detrimental to the game, as it plays a key role in botting and other potential exploits. It also runs counter to the spirit of the game. Any UI mods that automate character movement will no longer work in the 1.6 version of the game.
As I understand it, this will negatively impact a number of autobuff/autocast addons. It's another issue, but personally, I wager the autocast mods that key off movement will find another trigger that works. They always do. That leaves us with the core of the change, as it was described in the quote above: automated movement.

Admittedly, I only skimmed the thread over on the official forums, but a number of posters seemed to be most "up in arms" about the detrimental effects this change will have on AddOns the likes of AutoTravel and Abandon Ship anyway. Not the buff mods, but the actual travel mods themselves.

This has probably been mentioned somewhere already, and would be no small feat for Blizzard to implement, but why don't they include an alternate means of travel in the game? If there are honestly that many people that find the act of foot travel in this game to be -that- irritating or tedious, then the game has a design flaw.

Give folks a reasonable mounted travel option, from town to town, with the ability to dismount at any point along the route, and it would seem you have eliminated a large platform for a great deal of their userbase complaints. I was thinking a rental mount on a fixed path. They wouldn't have to go everywhere, just "fill in the gaps" with logical routes. A Kodo ride from Camp Taurajo to the back gate of Ogrimmar or that Epic Kodo orc guy at the edge of the salt flats. That sort of thing. Have them travel at mount speed, but follow the normal foot roads/paths. Then, when you needed to tromp all the way up to the sludge fen or down to Freewind Post on your 15th alt, you could at least have an option to "horse-it" and hop off close to where you wanted to be without having to dodge disgruntled emu and hyenas with attitude problems all the way there.

Heck, if that's too much trouble to implement, maybe the flight masters should just sell gnomish "parachutes" to mitigate falling damage, and then enable the jump button during flights, or at least portions of flights. You could keep these parachutes use-specific through backstory of some kind of "static line" engineering that only works with a contraption on the flying steed.

Then again, after I take a look, the movement mods don't seem to be -that- popular, when you look at sheer download numbers. Unless they are packaged with popular suite's I'm not aware of? I don't even know. It could just be my skimming of the official post just picked up on what I wanted to read, or there is an unusually vocal minority squawking over there. I recall one poster even threatening to take the issue to the press in the UK, LOL.

<shrug>

DAoC style horse routes are the one single feature I find I miss in WoW. It was nice to be able to hop on a pony to "x" and know you could jump off half way there and usually be reasonably close to wherever you wanted to be. It would at least give you a minute of relative safety to hit the rest room, nuke a burrito, whatever, before you and your group got underway. Typically, this was while you waited for someone that "forgot to jump" rather than while you were personally en-route... but hey.