View Single Post
09-10-09, 07:23 AM   #13
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

It's good to know I'm not the only person with this problem, and it's rewarding to see I'm not the only person who feels as I do about the problem.
Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
Good pve mages are rare nowadays :P Most of them are too lazy to cap their hit and use frostfire bolt.
When I dinged 78, the first thing I did was gem out of Spell Power and Intellect (which I had done for leveling purposes), and began gemming straight into Hit Rating and Spell Power. The reason for it was that one day I had a sad realization: I was missing on bosses in normal 5-man runs on about every third or fourth hit because my Hit Rating was garbage. I had about 1.8k Spell Power, and my dps wasn't getting above 1.4k. That's a problem! I've lost about 500 Spell Power, and my DPS has gone up so much. I don't know how any other Mage couldn't have noticed the same thing in the process of gearing and leveling up to 80 if they were doing anything even remotely similar. Capping should be first priority for any Mage, and Spell Power should come only after Hit cap has been achieved. That's my theory on it, but it seems like a good deal of the player base on the three servers I've played with this toon would choose to disagree, which brings me to my next point.
If you have problems getting into groups because you're mostly wearing blues, either don't run PUGS or try to find a different server. I've had the same issues with my hunter(wich does 2.8k DPS in karazhan gear...)
I've had a bunch of people pick me apart for being in a few pieces of Kara and ZA purples. I even have a green belt I've refused to give up. (My toon's siggie is a link to his armory entry if you wish to review it.) I've kept all these pieces because the only options I've had in loot rolls would cause me to lose 16-24 Hit Rating. No one sees that though! All the see is that it dropped from Kara or ZA or that it's green, and they pitch a fit about it. This has happened on three different servers. I've blown $75 on server transfers trying to escape this awful behavior of "your Spell Power isn't high enough to play with the big kids." No one cares about Hit Rating. They treat me this way, and then they gripe in Trade Channel about how Mages don't have good dps... They're pigeon-holing us into doing terrible dps because if we don't compromise our standards on our stats, they won't let us come with them. I'm sick of it!
I played on a pvp server with a lot of PUGS (heck, they even run Ulduar 25 runs probably), and all they require is to have all of the achievements that you can get for that raid, and minimum of naxx 25 gear. That's just insane. Skill > gear. It doesn't mean people with gear have skills 100% of the time (ok a large part of them might, but seriously). Since I couldn't even find a guild on stormscale because of my gear, I moved back to my former pve server on terenas.
The other day, I was on my Alliance Mage (Imperiosus, 69 Draenei Mage, Stormscale), and someone was in Trade recruiting healers for a run of some kind, and all he required was a link of the achievement. (I believe he was recruiting a H VoA.) Anyways, I shift-clicked someone else's achievement (it even had their name in the achievement — I wasn't spoofing), and I got an immediate invite. He didn't check my level or class to see if I actually qualified to fill the slot he was looking to fill. (Click here to see a screenshot. It was funny stuff. He tried to invite me twice before he realized that I was just baiting his stupidity.) This is the mentality people have now! Inasmuch as achievements were supposed to be for fun for the casual player, they've actually only made things worse, and I'm really sad for where the game has gone.

If the majority of the player base stays this way after Cataclysm has come out and "simplified" the stats for the people who don't want to do their homework and still want to act like elitists, I'm quitting. I'm so tired of doing the research and time to be good at my class only to have a game full of baddies keep me from getting anywhere in the end content.

Maybe I'll find a pr*v*te s*rv*r so I don't have to pay to play with morons. Oh wait... That's against the ToS and EULA, and I would never make a suggestion like that. >.>