View Single Post
03-08-08, 06:25 PM   #28
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well, 2 things:
- What's sure is that if you use the screenshot button as the hotkey that calls the Screenshot() API function, and use the file produced in your screenshots folder, there is clearly no problem, as no 3rd party software is used to obtain this file.
- So the doubt remain if you use your OS' screenshots. But again, is your OS a 3rd party software? I doubt you can say that, as basically it's necessary to have an OS to run wow, and they constantly exchange information.

But yeah, I agree that it's unclear. I mean, I somehow contradict myself here, as, for my first argument about screenshots, my previous argument on the chain from your brain to your IM software doesn't work (I mean, WoW is in this chain again, even if it's more distant to the 3rd party software).

So, pff... I'd still say that OCR is really a direct example of something that recovers data from the game. About screenshot, I'd say that it's not a problem. Running OCR on screenshots that are taken every day, after WoW is closed, that still sounds fine. Obviously, if you manage to get a computer that can afford one screenshot per second, and if you run OCR on these, there's a problem. So, where is the limit, etc...?

I guess that basically, the ToS forbids everything, and many are tolerated. But whenever they want to say "you broke the ToS" to someone, they can