View Single Post
10-11-08, 09:21 PM   #65
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Meldas View Post
My Google-Fu is better than yours: there is also http://wuu.vagabonds.info/menu.php - another one which causes more problems than it solves. There is also a handful of other updaters which only work for a subset of Addon sites. They all have flaws (well http://code.google.com/p/macaceupdater/ did work very well, but the author has quit supporting it). I guess you don't own a Mac otherwise you would know that there is currently only one good alternative.
I linked JWU because I have used it in the past to update from files.wowace.com and knew that it supports updating from other major addon sites. You posted, essentially, "I can't find any multi-site updater that works on the Mac other than WoWMatrix". I linked one such updater. If you expected me to be able to read your mind over the Internet and know that you'd already tried JWU and several other updaters and somehow decided that they weren't "multi-site updaters that work on the Mac", I'm sorry to have disappointed you, but there's no need to be an ass about it.

Especially Raid-Addons are updated nearly daily. If you ever wiped your raid (24 pissed of people in the TS) because you had an old version installed, you are going to check them before each raid, believe me.
Threat-2.0 (the backend calculation engine of Omen) is the only example of an addon whose performance is degraded if you do not constantly update to the latest revision. That said, I have never wiped my raid due to having an outdated addon, because I actually know how to play the game without relying on addons. I use addons because they make things more convenient, not because I need them to play the game.

So you want me to read through 70 changelogs before I decide to download an Addon each day? *shrug*
No, and I don't know where you got the impression that I wanted you to read 70 changelogs before downloading one addon. I certainly never said that.

It's the distribution site together with the authors which provide those minimal and sometimes unnecessary updates for free. Is it allowed to download these updates? Yes. Each one of them? Yes.
A solution would be to only make major updates available to the public.
Which, if you'd bothered to actually read my post, you'd know is the solution that's already been implemented. You will no longer see 12 updates to BigWigs every day, because someone changing one character in the Korean translation for the Doomwalker module will no longer generate an updated file for you to download. You will only see an update when the addon's author explicitly flags a specific revision as a public version.

Ok, there already was a lengthy answer to this analogy and its little inaccuracies. I might add: This generous gallery is paying the shipment costs for FedEx and UPS. And all of their prints cost nothing (however they seem to get some money elsewhere - but they don't tell me)! Are they nice? Or ... stupid? Then, I always have to walk to them whenever I wish to get a picture and I want a lot of them! That's not very convenient.
You're taking the analogy too far, and making laughably irrelevant arguments. You don't walk anywhere on the Internet. The only remotely reasonable form of your argument would be "the first gallery uses too much packaging and it takes me 30 seconds longer to unwrap the things they send me."

As was already said: This second gallery gets the prints from the first gallery. In other words: You still have the same control over the distribution of your prints. If you don't want me to get them, you just have to remove them from the first gallery.
I'm fairly certain that in the real world, I would absolutely have the legal right to demand that the second gallery stop distributing my prints, even if they did so by dropping them in the mail bin of the first gallery.

Btw this second gallery is much more comfortable than the first one. It also provides prints from other galleries which are also very nice! Oh, I love those pictures! Did I already tell you the story from the artist which told me: "You don't need that many pictures! And I don't care if you have a convenient way to get the pictures!".
No, but the artist absolutely has the right to not care if you do or do not have a convenient way to get his pictures. I don't release addons with the intention of getting as many people as possible to use my addon. I'd rather have only 5 people use my addon because it's only available on WoWInterface, than have 5000 people use my addon because they can get it through WoWMatrix.

That's wrong. The first gallery pays the postage. They pay it when I get the prints directly from them and they pay it when I get the prints from the second gallery. The argument that the second gallery is avoiding any postage is null and void. The second gallery invokes a FedEx or UPS shipment for me directly from the first gallery. Nice guys, and all for free. The only argument that you have here is that I may order more prints than usual because it's so easy to do in the second gallery.
Yes, and that's the problem. The first gallery in Boston didn't consent to pay the extra postage to ship extra prints to customers of the second gallery in Los Angeles.