Thread: OO initiative.
View Single Post
11-29-05, 07:45 PM   #31
Rowne
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Mmhm, that's exactly why this thread exists. I set out to let people know that there are other ways of coding. One problem with having FrameXML as a resource that I see is that Blizzard sets a bad example by coding in procedural themselves. I could never understand why they did that but it's their game so they can code however they like. However, just because Blizzard does something, it doesn't mean that we, as the community, should follow that example.

This is a drive for OO awareness really and I've been tempted to try and put something together on OO, with a few basic OO AddOns, both Ace and not just to show people the difference between OO and procedural. To put it bluntly, I've been tempted to write a 'thesis' of sorts on the topic so that folks will have a centralized resource base on how they might get into OO, not just for coding or for Lua but specifically in regards to making AddOns for World of Warcraft.

This thread was basically my wondering whether it was simply that OO was unknown (which seems to be the case) or whether OO was considered to be some black sheep for whatever reason. Since it seems that folks might be interested however, I think I'll put together that thesis anyway and if anyone wants to chip in with resources, examples and so on, then please do.

Short: Tolerance FTW?