Thread: OO initiative.
View Single Post
11-30-05, 03:55 AM   #34
Kasheen
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Beladona
I think the main issue, as Kasheen pointed out, is that most people are just trying to get a handle on LUA. OOP just seems like something beyond their ability to learn.

From my standpoint however, it is easier to learn OOP from scratch when learning LUA, than it is to make the switch from procedural to OOP after you have been doing procedural for a long time...
Definately agreed. My first main programming language a while ago was VB6 and I had quite a time going from that into C# and Java purely because I was so used to the ways of vb. But once you get the hang of OO it is very very easy and extremely powerful in comparison. VB6 wasnt exactly real procedural though, it was sort of an OO hybrid.

Edit: Mind you I'm guessing "Objects" in lua are still dynamically typed as its more of a scripting language so prolly wouldn't be as hard as getting to learn C# or Java or the likes. I guess it will have other quirks to reduce some of the programming overheads of a real OO as well, like a scripting language should. . . .

Perhaps some example mods would help people understand and see the differences between the two, and then they may think "hhmm thats not so bad after all"!

Last edited by Kasheen : 11-30-05 at 03:59 AM.