Thread: Carbonite Quest
View Single Post
02-15-08, 07:34 AM   #17
Taffu
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Tweeker View Post
This is the first mod (addon) I have EVER seen approved by this site that is crippled!

By crippled i mean this:
1) - It is NOT the full version.
2) - Addon authors can NOT edit it for personal use, nor use it's code.
3) - Payment IS "required" to utilize the full (real) version that this one is
meant to entice you into paying for.
4) - Much like the very first lick of an ice cream, you ARE going to want
another lick. So pull out that wallet, cause the choice to donate is no
longer yours.
1) The version released on this site is free, and full to the extent that's been made available. Enough people have commented...it does what it does.
2) ANY addon author can request their work not edited for personal use...and go to measures to ensure that their source is protected legally. Free or for-pay addons.
3) Payment -is not- required...you can use the version hosted by WoWI for free, with no pressure to purchase the version the author has available "for-pay".
4) This is a personal issue that should not be related to the argument at hand. You cannot claim that WoWI is going against their motto & rules that have been in place since the sites conception simply because you feel that you won't be able to live without the full version after taking a peek at the free version allowed here.

To remind you, Mazzle (prior to ending direct development on MazzleUI) optioned hosting a pay-for site that would use member site subscriptions to fund future development and upkeep of the addon. Regardless of it going through or not, it's not ill-conceived to believe that hard-working source programmers that intentionally try to enhance WoW UI elements to an extent that Carbonite does do not have the right to retain portions of their programming work and make them available on a pay-for basis. It's their choice & right. Demanding that it isn't and that it's wrong puts you in a rather disrespectful position.

Originally Posted by Tweeker View Post
I Own a few wow related domains, they are empty... and yes i am upset enough to put tons of work into one and make it spring to life, but I for one do not have the time. I can only silently pray that this addon, and others in the future with the same logic, get banned and stay banned.
WoWI will not ban the addon they host. They can't, because it doesn't request, or stress any need, for payment for the full version. And if you do take the time to build such a website, it may better help you understand the need or desire for compensation for the time, effort, and energy you put into that project.