View Single Post
08-06-09, 11:35 PM   #22
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For one who apparently has so much programming experience, Myrathi, I would expect to see some decent addons from you. But you haven't uploaded one? Not even a tiny utility?

Unfortunately, programmers *ARE* lazy. That's part of why we become programmers. The people that aren't lazy, they are perfectly content to highlight the same word in every line of a text document and type in a different word. The programmers are the ones that are too lazy to do something as tedious as that, so we write the kinds of tools that automate that. This same laziness is what begat the addon auto-updater in the first place.

Maybe in the world you live in, end users have the power to decapitate the programmers that do things they don't like. You sound like you believe this when you said earlier "they're only shooting themselves in the foot by making the life of their users harder." However, in this world, the users are not in control. The programmer is lazy, decides to find some way to automate a task with an addon, and then decides to share it with others out of the goodness of his heart. No addon author owes anything to someone who downloads it, even if they develop a sense of loyalty to that programmer for a job well done.

Us programmer types need smacked about the head, sometimes, so that we do things right. :P
Alas, the problem is knowing exactly what the right solution is, and there is rarely an easy answer. People running around smacking others heads because they think they know exactly what needs done and everyone else is dumb, are counter-productive, not to mention extraordinarily annoying.

Frankly, you don't sound like you have any experience in the real world of programming, I don't believe you can code half as well as you sound like you think you can, and your arguments are riddled with sweeping generalizations and unfounded biases. I hope Minion development does not follow in anything resembling the direction you are trying to point out to it.