View Single Post
08-07-09, 01:48 PM   #26
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've seen lots and lots of arguments here, and frankly, it's all quite silly.
It is not WoWInterfaces place to tell me how to version my addons

If they want to keep and incremental version number, that's up to them, but when I come up with my versioning scheme it's because it is what I think is best for me and my project.

Now the most common one I see is people pushing for a major.minor.revision format. Ok... pretty standard. But wait? Are these integers? Decimals? It matters!

Which is greater? 1.1.11? Or 1.1.2? The uneducated user will most likely think 1.1.2 is the newer version. Yet, in my case (with a few exceptions) it's actually 9 versions behind. Note: this is an even bigger problem if you do a major.minor, and I think it's bad practice to release revisions as anything other than a beta, if it's worth a new version, it's worth a new minor.

So which of these do I select? Well it depends... if computer savvy types are going to be the primary users, I probably release version 1.1, then 1.2, then 1.3. If it's going to be largely uneducated users... well then I go with 1.001, 1.002 and figure if I got through 999 minors it's time for a major bump anyway.

The point is, there are many correct and sane versioning schemes, a different reasons for choosing them (which is why there is no universal standard). Claiming that WoWIinterface can come up with one that is the best for every project is pure silliness.

Users need to pay attention to what Minion is doing. If you have an addon that is updated more frequently at Curse than WoWI.... well that's what the Ignore button is for. (Yes, you can use "Update All" after ignoring the addon in question... it's very clever like that)

Last edited by Vyper : 08-07-09 at 01:52 PM.