View Single Post
08-08-09, 06:54 PM   #34
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Okay, a few things.

1) As someone who has zero say in how WoWI operates, I can assure you that that they will never ever enforce a versioning scheme on authors.

2) The addon community is much much larger than WoWI. Trying to establish a versioning scheme for "the community" is something that is easier said than done, even if it was a good idea in the first place. Who knows, maybe some day someone will pop up and offer a versioning scheme so awesome that every author starts using it universally.

Maybe I'll wake up to a $50k "bank error in your favor" letter tomorrow, too.

3) Development on Minion has been slow - very slow. Yes, we have read every post made on these boards and every post that hit the bug tracker. I have heard and listened to pretty much everything said about it. We are fully aware of the current deficiencies, and as people who use it ourselves, we want to see it improved too. Do not think that because there have been very little improvements since launch that we are happy with the current state of things, or that we are blind to areas of possible improvements.

4) Many current problems are enhanced by authors not updating their addons on WoWI. I would classify this as a Minion problem, as any program which updates to an older version isn't exactly optimal (which is being nice). This is simply something that is going to have to be worked with. It goes both ways. There are addons on WoWI that are much more up to date than WoWI. Neither site is at fault, but rather the authors for not updating their addons in places where they have done so before. This is however, no excuse for Minion's current behavior. 'Updating' addons to an infinitely (or even slightly) older version is not something that should happen.

5) Thank you for those who have tried to help in this thread.

I'll leave this thread unlocked, but please keep the following in mind:
A) A unified cross-site ubiquitous versioning scheme is not something that is going to happen, for reasons too lengthy for me to write down.
B) The Minion team IS listening - feedback welcome. Try your best not to rant too incredibly much.
C) The world is not perfect.
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?

Last edited by ScytheBlade1 : 08-08-09 at 06:59 PM.