View Single Post
07-21-10, 12:21 PM   #9
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
I don't want to waste Blizz's time by reporting non-bug bugs.
About that.

This is a topic near to my heart from all the PTR's I've taken part in.

I do believe their QA team is quite skilled at looking through multiple bug reports and deleting the duplicates. So I would take a quick look through the Catacylsm beta bug reports forum. If it's not there I would do my best efforts in testing it with multiple toons and giving as much information in my ticket as I can.

For quick reference go bookmark this link :

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...orumId=7573589

Thing is I don't believe they want to restrict people's testing too much.

See they can do so called "structured" testing just fine. They have an inhouse QA team for that. Accept this quest X 1000 times with various bits of gear to see if it bugs out. Jump on this new jump rocket 2000 times with various toons. Use new attack 3000 times. Test out this new glyph etc etc.

What they can not do is the sort of stupid stuff that players work out how to do. The stuff they can't predict. The sort of chaotic testing that only gathering a good cross section of their player base can do. I'm talking here both about the train spotting guys who take full verbose notes on everything that happens to the guys who only get on to duel people in front of Ogrimmar using premades. If something bugs out it's going to bug out for everyone regardless of what they are on the beta to do or their skill set.

So IMHO just go out there and play. Your task people is to go out and make this beta client crash. To go out and find some obscure thing they would not of thought to test. Go jump off Dalaran. Do an entire 5 man in resto gear and spec. Equip a resto oriented glyph with your Elemental Shammy spec.

Go be special and chaotic. Play or Test , it really doesn't matter. As long as you find something the developers could not of forseen. Make them wonder why someone's putting a fish into his string matrice. It's all beta testing to them.

Then you report it.

If do you find a bug make sure you do all you can to figure out if it's just you or if it is a bug. The bug report forum is good for this as well as talking to your fellow beta testers. Then do all you can to report as much information about the bug as you possibly can. Short of what color underwear you are wearing of course
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 07-21-10 at 12:25 PM.