View Single Post
07-26-17, 06:46 AM   #17
Rainrider
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Actually you didn't make any point but kept ranting even after it was pointed out to you. Ketho made your point because he/she supported your claims with evidence. Now it is up to the mods to evaluate and resolve.

Apart from that, this is not a trivial one to solve and it has to be looked at for every case separately. My personal opinion is that it can't be avoided completely.

For what concerns me, WoW has always been codewise a playground and a place to learn for me. I do want to contribute back what I've taken, so anyone should feel free to use my WoW related code to their liking without my prior permission (I probably should add licenses to express this explicitly). I simply don't see any harm in it, only benefit. The only issue would be if their users come to me asking for support for code that is not from me. However this could also be a part of the license - if you modify, change the name and don't mention me I don't care about getting credited.

I'm happy this way, I learned a ton, and I was fortunate enough to be able to contribute to some projects with people I grew to like and respect. Being able to share code with others is the greatest opportunity to learn, either by teaching them or by getting their criticism. Maybe you could take some of this approach and adapt to your liking