View Single Post
07-31-09, 05:27 PM   #27
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
You've missread my grind rant as directed to you, which it wasn't. Pretty much the first and last bit were in response to yours, the rest was directed to comments such as:
Originally Posted by Syxx
...I usually don't go in for Korean grindfests (which Aion is one)...
Since I got quoted I suppose I should respond to it.
Yes I indeed said that (OMG!) and i stand behind it.
I've played MMOs for a long time (I know you care), since Meridian59 (I skipped UO and then went to EQ) and I know full well what the hell a grind is.
I stand behind my statement. The Korean game designers somehow know how to take a simple game and make it so grindy it's insane.
Not all grinds are the same though. You assume a grind is a grind is a grind. I do not and that's where we diverge. So argue if you will (Opinions on the internet are like... well you know), but after trying Aion out for a while and reading the multitude of people blog about it (Paragus Rants is a great source for decent reviews) I think I'll pass.

I have my issues with WoW and the grindiness of it but at least I'm enjoying myself. That's what it's all about anyway right? Enjoying yourself?
So I'm glad people are liking Aion. I'm glad it's pre-orders are selling well and it's getting over-hyped everywhere. I hope it does well and I hope NCSoft makes a bundle off of it because it will be good for the MMO business. I still won't play it.

It gets a little retarded though with the "My MMO is better than yours" thing don't you think? Not saying that's what you were doing but that's what the MMO discussions generally boil down to in the end don't they (Been over at Mmorpg.com forums lately? Eeeew!)?
I'll stick with WoW for now. Especially after getting massively burned on WAR and slightly burned on AoC (Two franchises I love and have read since I was a kid) I'm much more cautious about MMOs.
In the end Aion is to asian grindfesty for me. I'm glad you enjoy it but give me a break on lecturing.