View Single Post
07-31-09, 11:40 PM   #33
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Golden rule. Someone's always better. May not be now for most, but the day will come eventually.
People have been saying that for decades about Coca-Cola too. Sometimes, things are just the best. Sometimes, those things have staying power unlike anything else. This isn't about Coke, but I'm sure you get my point. For a new game to really take off (I'm not saying it isn't possible, just not probable, especially with this mess), it needs to meet a need that isn't currently being met by the current market. Warcraft does a pretty good job at meeting the needs of the bulk of MMORPG'ers. When it ceases meeting the needs of its market (by fault of its own development path), other games will gain significant market share if they can pick up the "slack".

In my opinion, this Aion thing doesn't even match its own hype. I don't think Warcraft's position at the top of the leaderboard is in any sort of jeopardy. I consider Aion to Warcraft what Scary Movie was to horror films. Can they possibly include any more fantasy cliches? Really? The Chosen are at war with the Fallen? No kidding? Groundbreaking stuff, honestly!

My only complaint about Warcraft thus far is that I wish Blizzard would quit micromanaging talents. Set it and forget it. I dont like having to adapt (for seemingly no reason at all sometimes) to new ways of accomplishing the same tasks I have been doing another way for years. To me, this isn't really development that furthers the progress of where Warcraft can take the player. I wish they'd put all the talent micromanaging energy into development that takes the game new places, directions, etc. New zones, dungeons, etc. I don't need for my spiritual attunement to give me 10% one year and 8% the next. Know what I mean? I'd rather visit new places, or perhaps find some NON-FRUITY paladin armor somewhere. Anyway, I think you know what I'm saying. Back on track.