View Single Post
08-16-12, 06:27 PM   #55
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I didn't get an e-mail, but I did send one (my second):

I want my AddOns removed from the site <REDACTED> immediately. I did not give my permission, which is required since they were released as All Rights Reserved. In fact, you would do well to remove ALL infringing AddOns, sticking with those which are GPL, BSD, MIT, or Creative Commons licensed unless otherwise notified by their respective authors.

The definition of All Rights Reserved makes this statement shockingly arrogant:

"We at World of Addons did make various attempts to contact addon authors, however, many authors do not have their e-mails listed visibly to the public, while others did not respond at all, and finally our attempts to contact authors using sites such as Curse, WoWInterface and the like to message authors were utterly blocked."

Copyright Law does not work the way you apparently think it does. The mere fact that you received no response at all means you had no permission at all, and are breaking the law. Requiring authors to prove who they are before taking down something you have no right to distribute to begin with is quite disturbing and garners negative goodwill toward you from the very people you want to use your service.

I repeat - remove my works from your site _immediately_.

James D. Callahan III (Torhal)

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.