View Single Post
05-05-16, 03:53 PM   #164
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
This moves into a gray area as marking an out-of-date addon as "legacy" leads me to believe they're promoting its use on private servers. Of which we all know is against ToS. Once in a while I do see requests for such addons, usually met with a snippet of our forum rules. Many of such responses have been mine. I would like to see measures taken against publishing addons for this purpose, but I'm not sure which direction to take for suggesting a systematic implementation of limiting factors. Especially ones that would act upon addon listings that have gone out-of-date.
I don't think it was actually designed for vanilla servers, just an addon that used to be relevant to the game but due to changes in API and content no longer had any purpose except for saying "this addon once did this one thing, but since that's no longer part of the API, it now does nothing. Here's an updated version that won't trigger any lua errors."

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I recognize people will do anything for a beta key and a major reason for the join date cutoff is to prevent people from stealing addon code and creating new accounts to post them. It's very hard to come up with a computer algorithm to properly gauge how trustworthy someone is or whether they're trying to abuse the system for personal gain. I know going by the join date isn't perfect, but it's what we have.
I think the join date is a good rule to deal with that to some degree, since most people are not devious enough to register an account years in advance just for the off-chance of snatching an early access pass with stolen code. The false updates was just something I noticed when this post appeared on the front page, since I've gotten into the habit of checking out the addon feed every now and then.