View Single Post
05-19-21, 05:50 AM   #1
SageHunter
A Kobold Labourer
Question Verifying addon is unmodified

Question:
Is there a way to "authenticate" that another player is using the same unmodified version of an addon?

I'm currently in the early design stages of a new addon. This addon is a mini game that can be played between players. I'm entertaining the idea of having collectibles in this mini game, and those collectibles would be earned by completing achievements, like killing a specific boss, looting a certain item or the like (I don't play retail so the target is classic tbc, so no actual achievements).

Now, the problem I see with this is that one could easily cheat by modifying the addon or the saved variables. I can think of some steps to make it harder to cheat, but most of them are quite easily bypassable unless there is a way to make it possible for a player to verify that another player is using an unmodified version.

I'm aware that there is no built in way to do this, and I'm already sure the answer to my question is no. But if anyone of you whom are surely much smarter than me can think of some way to do it, I would love to hear your ideas.