View Single Post
04-16-09, 06:41 PM   #536
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by guice View Post
You mean Google News. ^_^
Now you see how my analogy worked.

To Google's credit, and discredit of WM a bit, Google didn't re-print the entire article. WM works a little different in that WM is able to display all the relevant information in a quick tiny little spot, allowing the user to quickly glance over the list and hit 'Update' without having to visit the site.

But, I do, on occasion, click on "Visit official site" and get annoyed with there isn't such a link on some add-ons didn't have such a link.

However, what puzzles me most of all isn't WoWI's response, but the authors. WM allowed users to install SO MANY add-ons so efficiently. The authors should be *****ing at WoWI, too! The authors should be more worried about getting their add-ons known and out there...complaining because WM made their add-ons easier to get? I'm baffled.
The problem with calling WM Google News, is Google News does not print on the New York Times paper, they distribute their own news through the internet. The New York Times does not wind up footing the bill for Google New's "paper" (literally bandwidth in this case.

There are several reasons authors don't like WoWMatrix (this is understanding and recognizing it is an easier way to update).
1.) Simplicity, it is much easier to keep track of things when I know what and from where people are getting my work. Keeping it down to WoWI lets me easily control that.
2.) WoWMatrix often modified addon files before installing them. I have seen several bugs out there associated only with WoWMatrix users, because WM was fooling with the files. From time to time it also distributed old versions, which could wreak equal havoc.
3.) (related to 2) While a moot point now, WoWMatrix was removing addons in-game donation requests. Go figure, some authors didn't appreciate that.
4.) (Possibly most important) It was not an opt-in service. Or even an opt-out. When I create a work, it is my right to determine how (or if) that work is distributed. WoWMatrix took that right away. They provided addons without permission, and ignored authors protests. From my perspective (not WoWIs) this is the worst.

All my works are under the GPL or BSD, meaning WoWMatrix can redistribute at will, but that was my choice, and to me it's precious. Other authors make different choices, and I suspect to them having that choice is equally precious.

Edit: I'm off to dinner now, but I will happily discuss this further later. Hopefully you can see my point of view.