01-09-06, 11:27 PM   #1
NeuronRider
A Murloc Raider

Question DFM - ReParenting Frames

(Upfront apologies for the length of this post...I'm somewhat verbose... )

So, I seem to be having a problem with 1.0 DFM (which is, admittedly the version of DFM I've used...actually of any of the Discord AddOns), which I'll try to detail here.

I'm trying to hide MainMenuBar, while retaining the Pet Bar (warlock). I don't want the art around the buttons though, so, what I've done is to re-parent (is re-anchor the proper term?) each PetActionButton# to UIParent. PetActionBar remains parented to MainMenuBar. I select Use and Lock for each button with respect to the Parent frame.

The frame finder shows that each button is properly parented to UIParent at this point, I can move the group (by way of moving Button 1) to my heart's content, and successfully hide (not Force Hide) MainMenuBar while retaining the PetActionButtons.

Whenever the UI is reloaded (manually in-game, or by logging in), the Frame Finder Reports that the Parent of each button has returned to PetActionBar, which is also a child of MainMenuBar. Subsequently, if I do perform a Force Hide on MainMenuBar (which appears to correctly carry over between UI reloads), the PetActionButtons are all likewise hidden (due to their inherited relationship to MainMenuBar thru PetActionBar).

As I said, I'm new to this mod, so it's entirely possible (nay, likely) that I'm simply mis-using the functions and thereby getting these problems. Maybe not, but I'm completely stuck right now on figuring this one out, so, I turn to you fine folk.
01-09-06, 11:34 PM   #2
NeuronRider
A Murloc Raider

Addendum Info

Probably useful to state that I'm using a clean load of my Interface and WTF directories, and not using any other mods that modify the action bars directly (I do have FlexBar), nor any other mods that give me the ability to move/resize frames.

Thanks
01-10-06, 10:14 AM   #3
NeuronRider
A Murloc Raider

Hrm...Did I make my post too long

I'm still stumped on this; if anyone has suggestions on what I might be doing wrong, I'd appreciate them
01-10-06, 02:30 PM   #4
Lozareth
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't know either.
01-10-06, 08:04 PM   #5
NeuronRider
A Murloc Raider

Hrm. Aright, I appreciate the respone, Loz

Any other pet users out there able to replicate the problem I'm seeing? I noticed a post earlier regarding the pet bar not showing up for someone using UUI with DFM. Perhaps the issues are related and tied to some sort of a parenting issue (*cough* with respect to the frames... )

I'll keep playing with it and see if I can fix it, or at least figure out what's going on.
01-10-06, 10:44 PM   #6
NeuronRider
A Murloc Raider

Tried with no other Addons loaded (save the Blizzard ones) and still can't get the Parent Frame change to stick. I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem; if so, I'm one unluck sob...
01-11-06, 07:34 AM   #7
Apate
An Aku'mai Servant

hmm..works fine for me. did you check the box marked 'use'?
01-11-06, 07:41 AM   #8
NeuronRider
A Murloc Raider

Yup, use and lock, but only with respect to the Parent field. I didn't use/lock anything else, and let the strata/frame level change (automatically when I changed the parent) to Medium/1, from Dialog/3 for each button.

I'm 99% positive those are the only things I've changed right now at all. I even checked the lua SavedVariables file, and the PetActionButtons all have UIParent listed as their parent from, as such:

Code:
["PetActionButton1"] = {
				[1] = {
					[1] = "UIParent",
					["lock"] = 1,
					["use"] = 1,
				},
				["name"] = "PetActionButton1",
			},
It's as though those settings are not applied when the UI reloads. I've got them under a different profile from Defauilt; that shouldn't matter though, as it's apparent that the profile is called correctly on UI reload.
01-12-06, 12:50 AM   #9
NeuronRider
A Murloc Raider

Aright, I finally got it working. Unfortunately, the means by which I did leaves me clueless as to what the exact issue was.

I wasted every element that's not a part of the default install, reloaded, logged, added just DFM, reloaded, and suddenly the changes were being saved across UI reloads. Fancy that.

I didn't have any problems after either, when I put all my copious addons back in. Huh.

Thanks for the replies guys. Believe it or not, it really helped me get thru this problem (if for no other reason than knowing that it was clearly sometihing on my system :>)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » DFM - ReParenting Frames