04-20-09, 10:43 PM   #1
Psycho_Jester
A Kobold Labourer
Quest Helper Compatibility?

Is there a chance of this mod ever being able to work well with Quest Helper? They don't seem to like each other much, and i would really like to use them together. I'm sure it's not likely to happen, but i thought i would ask anyways just in case.

04-21-09, 09:27 AM   #2
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
We have no plans to put any extra effort into making these work well together. Tell us what feature you are using that makes you want to use QH and we'll see if we can't implement it in Carbonite.

04-21-09, 11:42 AM   #3
TiaMaster
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Psycho_Jester View Post
Is there a chance of this mod ever being able to work well with Quest Helper? They don't seem to like each other much, and i would really like to use them together. I'm sure it's not likely to happen, but i thought i would ask anyways just in case.
As has been discussed many times before, I don't know what QH does that Carb doesn't...so yeah, tell the Carb guys what you want.

04-21-09, 07:06 PM   #4
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I might be wrong, but Zorba was definitely making "Blizzard killed my mod" noises re: QuestHelper. He was of course refering to Blizzard's new (despicable) mod development policy. You can read the policy and Zorba's response at http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...Id=15864747207).

What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that, even if there was the will to make Carbonite and QuestHelper play nicely with each other, it's unlikely that Zorba would invest the time to make it happen his end, and it's unlikely that changes to Carbonite would be enough on their own.

In short, better to get used to Carbonite and post feature requests (as suggested by the previous 2 posters).

04-21-09, 10:20 PM   #5
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
I might be wrong, but Zorba was definitely making "Blizzard killed my mod" noises re: QuestHelper. He was of course refering to Blizzard's new (despicable) mod development policy. You can read the policy and Zorba's response at http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...Id=15864747207).

What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that, even if there was the will to make Carbonite and QuestHelper play nicely with each other, it's unlikely that Zorba would invest the time to make it happen his end, and it's unlikely that changes to Carbonite would be enough on their own.

In short, better to get used to Carbonite and post feature requests (as suggested by the previous 2 posters).
Zorba is still maintaining the addon, but it's not getting the full-time dedication, largely because he now has to hold down a full-time job.

It is unlikely they will ever play well together though, mostly because they are meant to fill the same purpose.

For what it's worth, QuestHelper is designed as much as possible to not have side effects (not affect the Blizz UI or other mods), so as long as Carbonite doesn't fool with frames in strange ways, or deliberately trash QH's namespace, QH should work side by side with Carbonite, it just won't be integrated into Carbonite's fancy "Google Map" type thing.

Last edited by Vyper : 04-21-09 at 10:23 PM.

04-21-09, 11:23 PM   #6
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
{QuestHelper} just won't be integrated into Carbonite's fancy "Google Map" type thing.
I've not tried it (servers are down) but it might work with the "google map" thing already via the alt-M carbonite world map doohicky. The only thing is, it might behave like MapNotes, in that the points are fine until the map re-scales or scrolls (which would defeat the object). Or it could behave perfectly like Gatherer. Won't know until I try it

That reminds me: Must find a way to import mapnotes into carbonite

04-21-09, 11:38 PM   #7
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I still don't understand why people want to use Carbonite and QuestHelper at the same time. It's like using Fubar and Titan at the same time.

04-22-09, 12:07 AM   #8
Thander
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
I still don't understand why people want to use Carbonite and QuestHelper at the same time. It's like using Fubar and Titan at the same time.
They probably like the way Questhelper handles all the quests and want Carbonite just for the improved map plus all the other features like Warehouse and stuff.

04-22-09, 02:57 AM   #9
sokahar
A Murloc Raider
Something I have have seen QuestHelper do (by default) that I haven't seen Carbonite do is place route info on the map to the nearest quest point / flight path in order to speed up movement time.

Its probably somewhere in Carbonite as I have seen a route line to my corpse when I was dead. I have also seen discussions and help pages on setting up routes for carbonite, but as (at the times) I didn't want to take the time to try and set them up.

I stopped using QuestHelper because of the memory use/failure to run problems, plus I liked Carbonites drop/kill colored area for quests more.

04-22-09, 03:10 AM   #10
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There is nothing to setup. You click the purple button.

The nearest/best quest choice is the one at the top of the Watch List. If you click the purple Watch List "Auto Track" button it will point to the closest objective of that top quest by drawing a line on the map and show and point the HUD arrow at it. As you move around and complete objectives/quests with Auto Track on, it will continue to point to the current best choice. It will also factor in Flight Masters, Zone Connections and those travel times.

Last edited by carboniteaddon : 04-22-09 at 03:37 AM.

04-22-09, 03:17 AM   #11
sokahar
A Murloc Raider
Thank you. I will check it out the next time I am in game.

I am finding there are a lot of hidden jewels in Carbonite and in their individual frames.

I once spent hours trying to find "hide minimap in combat" that I knew was there (I had set it up on another character) but couldn't find it in the options frame. I was looking under minimap and combat.

Thanks for a great addon.

04-22-09, 05:06 PM   #12
Thander
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by sokahar View Post
Thank you. I will check it out the next time I am in game.

I am finding there are a lot of hidden jewels in Carbonite and in their individual frames.

I once spent hours trying to find "hide minimap in combat" that I knew was there (I had set it up on another character) but couldn't find it in the options frame. I was looking under minimap and combat.

Thanks for a great addon.
You can go into Carbonite options and go to the Reset area. Choose "Import character settings" I think to make it look the same as your other character. I only make changes on one character and then import the changes to all the rest.

04-22-09, 05:45 PM   #13
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You can also right click a character in the Warehouse and export his settings to everyone.

04-29-09, 11:25 AM   #14
docseuzz
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by sokahar View Post
Something I have have seen QuestHelper do (by default) that I haven't seen Carbonite do is place route info on the map to the nearest quest point / flight path in order to speed up movement time.

Its probably somewhere in Carbonite as I have seen a route line to my corpse when I was dead. I have also seen discussions and help pages on setting up routes for carbonite, but as (at the times) I didn't want to take the time to try and set them up.

I stopped using QuestHelper because of the memory use/failure to run problems, plus I liked Carbonites drop/kill colored area for quests more.
I was trying to find out about setting up routes with carbonite as well... nothing against Carbonite's 'connect-the-nodes' routes, but the Routes add-on has a lot of really good options (clustering, route optimization, taboo zones) that are quite useful...

04-29-09, 11:46 AM   #15
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Strange .. I use the two just fine ... no conflicts whatsoevev.

Although I rely heavily on Carb .. QH does sometimes have info on quests that Carb doesn't (And vice-versa).

Granted quest marks and such do not appear in Carbonites maps but why should they. Carbonite is in itself a quest addon too. If I want to see the old map where QH places it's icons I use a keybinding in Carbonites keybinding section to view original map.

04-29-09, 06:39 PM   #16
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by docseuzz View Post
I was trying to find out about setting up routes with carbonite as well... nothing against Carbonite's 'connect-the-nodes' routes, but the Routes add-on has a lot of really good options (clustering, route optimization, taboo zones) that are quite useful...
Carbonite already does clustering (merging) and our normal routing algorithm makes shorter routes than the Routes optimized route and it does it 5x-10x faster. Taboo zones is the main thing missing.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Quest Helper Compatibility?