04-10-08, 05:33 PM   #1
pottstv
A Murloc Raider
Creating a private message

I am new at lua but I am currently teaching myself slowly. I ran into something that I have been unable to pinpoint or find any information on. I have a function in my lua file that I defined and that function prints a message to the screen much like a system message that would be displayed from blizzard...however...I can't find the code to actually make it print the text I want.

For instance:

function ECSM Event()
--Send a message to your chat console that is only viewable by you
SendChatMessage("You have now entered combat."," ????");
end

I don't know for sure but I am pretty sure there are no API commands associated with the SendChatMessage(); function that will allow me to do this but I have been unable to locate any other predefined API command that I can use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
04-10-08, 06:05 PM   #2
pottstv
A Murloc Raider
Well anyone looking for an answer to this question I simply overlooked the actual process to what I wanted to do.

fucntion ECSM Event()

DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("You have entered combat.");

end

This allows me to print a message to the default chat frame when the fucntion is called within my addon...problem solved .
04-10-08, 06:35 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah - you only want the addon to print a message, not send one to one of the channels.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Creating a private message