12-15-07, 07:35 AM   #1
Julith
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[Idea (no request)] Add own quests and story to WoW

Parallel World

This is not an addon request but an addon idea I need feedback for (I thought this would be the best sub forum).

Short version: I want to implement a framework for adding own quests and storys to WoW. There can be done more than you would think at first but it is a lot of work and I'm currently overwhelmed by it.
So I decided to see at first if there is an actual need for this addon before I start coding the brain out of my ears

So my questions are:

Are there other people who would like to add their own quests, dialogs and storyline to WoW?
Are there people who would like to play and experience these quests and storys?
Are there coders who would like to help implementing the framework?

If you have a slight interrest in the above things please read the bunch of text below and give me you feedback.

The idea

The idea is to create a limited virtual parallel world inside WoW. Everything you can display at the interface you can create and do in the virtual world. For example you can display any arbitary item, which means you can create them in the virtual world. This way you are able to create own quest drops (by displaying virtual loot in the loottable). Or create questrewards.
The parallel world will be limited to the interface (you can't change the 3D-World of WoW) but together with some imagination there could be a lot of things possible).

Whats possible:

Complex story lines
Not only wow like "kill x of xyz" quests but more storytelling quest like you know them from single player rpgs (story line which depends on the decisions of the player for example).

Quest entities
Not only NPCs could start a quest but basically everything which creates an event could initiate a questdialog.

Quest objectives
- kill xyz
- get drop of z
- discover some spezific zone
- talk with xyz
- and probably more

Quest rewards
Of course you can't add new items to the game and you can't spawn them. But nothing stops you from displaying your own virtual items. They won't have an effect on the real WoW world. But they could have an effect on every other quest and thing from this addon.

Add new quest without real coding
Every quest is described by a (very big) table. So no special programming will be needed to create them, just creating the appropriate quest-table.

Whats done

Thats the main idea, I have already implemented a basic version where you can create arbitary quests with dialogs, dialog entities (npc, zone change, etc), dialog choices and condition controlled dialogs. (No actual trackable quest objectives yet). The code is pretty modular and easy extendable, but could be even better.

There is so much more to be done and I don't want do it without knowing if there would be some actual interrest in it.

So, I'm happy for any comments.
12-16-07, 07:06 PM   #2
Ektyr
A Fallenroot Satyr
Had a skim and I think it sounds an excellent idea. Much would depend upon whether it "takes off", but there's clearly some major potential in there, particularly on RP realms.

To encourage progression and such, perhaps a server-synced score/leader/level-board should be available. I don't write addons so I'm not sure how possible that is, but competition is always a good start to get a decent userbase.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » [Idea (no request)] Add own quests and story to WoW