03-29-08, 05:12 PM   #1
Ryoohki
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Updateing those old out dated but loved Add-ons

There are many out dated add ons that we love but don't seem to be updated by their creators. Is it difficult to to update these by an individual with no add-on building experience?

What is needed to make them compatible to the latest WOW patch?
03-29-08, 05:42 PM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

That will depend higly on what sort of mod it is and what has changed in its function under the current API.

For some mods that list as out of date its entirely possible that nothing has changed in its function and its just a matter of updating the .toc file to the current version.

Other mods however will need to have their coding changed to conform to the API changes for the current patch. That part will take some Lua experience or coding knowledge in general if your trying it for the first time.

So either another author will need to take it up or you'll have to dig in and go for it. Asking on the forums for someone to consider taking it up is also possible.

If you decide to give it a go your self there is a nice section on development and tutorials on this site that can give you a leg up so to speak.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
03-29-08, 05:49 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
May I also note that if all that's needed is to change the Interface number in the TOC, then an update is not needed - all you have to do is check "Load Out of Date Addons".
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-29-08, 08:02 PM   #4
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

If it is broken, well then cause a stink and get someone to fix it.

Outdated ≠ Broken
03-30-08, 12:26 PM   #5
Ryoohki
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
May I also note that if all that's needed is to change the Interface number in the TOC, then an update is not needed - all you have to do is check "Load Out of Date add ons".
I did program but nothing like this just business reports.

I do understand that out dated is considered not broken but there were some that stopped working with the latest patch. I also found it funny how with this new patch WOW was saying to uninstall outdated Add-ons. If changing the interface # is all it takes then no biggie.

Current API? Were do i find more info on that?
03-30-08, 02:27 PM   #6
Slakah
A Molten Giant

It might be easier to just give us a list of mods which don't work.
03-30-08, 02:54 PM   #7
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Just tick load outdated. The mechanism is there for a reason, anlthough I really wish they would give us a "don't uncheck load outdated every patch" option. Some of do know what we're doing and don't need that "protection".

And telling us what's broken will give you a much better chance of finding solutions :P

As for API, read the changes thread on the official forums. It always gets copied over here as "News" shortly before the patch as well.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Updateing those old out dated but loved Add-ons