12-23-10, 03:57 PM   #1
Chamenas
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Looking for help Streamlining AddOn Code

It's important to clarify what I want right off the bat, so I'll quickly explain what this is not looking for.
  • I am NOT looking for someone to write an AddOn for me
  • I am NOT looking for someone to rewrite my AddOn code
  • I am NOT looking for someone to hold my hand

What I have is already a functioning, working an AddOn. What I want is help from someone who has a lot of experience, and sort of recognizes what various bits of code are doing and how they could be done better.

But it's more than just that. As I said, I'm not looking to have someone go through and streamline the code for me. What I'm looking for is someone who is almost like a mentor, pointing out problem spots in code and pointing me to reading material that's relevant to making them better. I would still be doing the coding, I would still be doing the learning, but it's in a more directed, hands-on fashion which is suitable to how I enjoy learning.

So here's a list of what I AM looking for:
  • Someone who feels confident reading code and proposing alternative methods
  • I'm looking to make the code do the following:
    • Run more efficiently, aka take up less memory and/or use less CPU
    • Do more with less lines of code
    • Be more readable

All of the above make up what I feel are efficiency standards in code and I'm looking for someone who can look at my code and pinpoint problem areas and, as I said, not fix them for me, but show me where I can read what I need to to make them better and to answer questions I might have as I learn.

This sort of role is not for everyone, and some people might not agree with it, and that's fine. I'm not looking for people to post with whether or not they agree with this, I'm looking for someone who thinks it would be interesting to look at my AddOn's code. I'm looking for someone who is intrigued by the challenge of looking at code and making it work better. I'm looking for someone who is willing to share their thoughts and ideas with someone who is still learning, to help teach and guide.

I know this will work for me because I've done it before, to great success (with other scripting languages and setups). I'm hoping that I can find someone who's willing to fill the role I need, I'm excited because it gives me a chance to learn where I might otherwise struggle.

If you're interested, certainly send me a PM and I can answer any questions you might have or clarify points, and, should it seem like we both want what we need to want in order to make this work then we can exchange more specific details.

Feel free to use this thread to also show interest in looking for help yourself. I'm not sure that we'll find a swarm of interested parties swooping in to help mentor the newbies, but if it's a style of learning which appeals to you, then feel free to show that you'd be interested as well and perhaps someone could contact you.

Please do not ask for specific help in this thread though. Specific code problems, etc.. are best suited for their own topic or appropriate topics in this forum. Thank you.

Last edited by Chamenas : 12-23-10 at 05:37 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Looking for help Streamlining AddOn Code