01-18-10, 03:07 PM   #1
Sinver
A Defias Bandit
Tanking UI Help

I am a prot paladin thats the main tank of my guild and i am looking for help in building a Proper tanking ui and need help with what addons to get and that i should use for tanking.
01-18-10, 03:34 PM   #2
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

First off, a threat meter - Omen is the most obvious choice, but there are loads of threat meter addons out there, some more minimal than others. You can find a lot of threat meters in this section, as well as some other addons that might sound appealing.

Secondly, a boss mod, if you don't already have one. Both Deadly Boss Mods and BigWigs are excellent choices.

Since you're a paladin, you may want to try out PallyPower, it's a nice tool to assist you with buffing in raids.

Some sort of cooldown tracker to help you with your rotation might be welcomed - something as simple as OmniCC could do the trick, but if you want more options/customization, you might want to try CoolLine, ClassTimer, Power Auras, NeedToKnow etc. Of course, it all depends on your playstyle. You can use some of these mods to track important buffs and debuffs as well.

Maybe something like TankPoints or RatingBuster to help you with gear choices.

If a complete UI package is what you're after, I find ALZA UI to be well suited for a tank, but might need some tweaking (last time I checked, the paladin section in sFilter was lacking, but it can be modified if you know a bit of lua). You can also inspire yourself from his layout and build a UI yourself.

I confess I haven't tanked anything higher than Sunken Temple on my pally, but I find the UI requirements for a tank to be pretty slim. Generally, you could take a DPS UI and get away with it.
01-18-10, 04:24 PM   #3
Sinver
A Defias Bandit
ty for the help i will look into these right away
01-18-10, 04:41 PM   #4
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ardent Defender is the perfect companion to use for a prot pala

For a rotation(yes, not a priority system) I'd advise you to take a look at maintankadin. n.

To know if you are unhittable or what your avoidance is: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...wtopic&t=21476
01-19-10, 11:58 AM   #5
Jorell-Lothar
A Kobold Labourer
I'm a prot paladin in a raiding guild. Here's a list of add ons I use. Not necessarily in any priority order.

X-perl-- very flexible unit frames, once configured with "clique" you can single target taunt, HoP, HoS, etc on players and mobs. Incredibly powerful once you are comfortable with it.

clique- allows you to make multiple mouse click commands for specific spells usable on unit frames.

pally power-- no brainer if you are a pally of any type or even a raid leader and are tired of people screwing up pally buffs

msbt- highly configurable scrolling battle text, can be much tidier than blizzard scrolling battle text. Also, msbt can be configured for event triggers, sounds and visual for cooldowns.

tank totals- specific for tanks, can help with your avoidance numbers in evaluated gear swap choices for certain fights. Also has automatic raid warnings for ardent defender procs, bubbles, divine sacrifce and a couple other things.

Omen- simple, reliable, powerful

Recount- simple reliable, powerful, and there's a threat plug in available

Bartender- highly customizable action bar add on, makes for easy keybind, button scaling, spacing, tons of really useful bar stuff

DBM- i've only used dbm, not bigwigs (i'm sure it's great too) because dbm works so well for me. Must have for any raider.

cbt viewport- if you've watched a ciderhelm video from tank spot, the black band at the bottom of the screen, used by many loved by me, it's where my action bars, omen , chat, recount all go

Elkano buff bar- couldn't live without out. You can set up multiple buff windows, that are more text based and I find much easier to use. Personally I use 4 buff windows:
1. tank short duration- holy shield, sacred shield, HoP, divine plea , stuff i need to refresh

2. proc window -ashen verdict ring proc, sword proc, mongoose etc

3. timeless buffs- auras basically , righteous fury

4. all timed buffs

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but these are probably my most important add-ons as they are what comes to mind quickly.

oh , forgot one,

Simple raid targets -target mob, use radial menu for selecting kill order icon

hope this helps,

Jorell-Lothar
01-19-10, 12:33 PM   #6
ikathma
A Murloc Raider
I just recently started a prot pally and found that Tidy Plates is an awesome addon for tanking. I use Threat Plates and as long as I have aggro on the mobs, their name plates are green, but as soon as someone pulls one off me, that name plate gets bigger and turns red and easy to pick up on.

Tidy Plates: http://www.wowinterface.com/download....html#optional

Threat Plates: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info14984.html
01-19-10, 02:16 PM   #7
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
One thing you can also do, is make a Mouse over macro for Hand of Reckoning and Righteous Defense. These both will come in handy and they need to be bound in order for fast reaction.

If you don't want to bind these two spells, you can use TauntMaster. I hear good things about it and I think its worth a try if you don't Keybind.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Tanking UI Help